I ♥ the Internet. What did we ever do without it? I know I managed, but it’s hard to remember how. Even though it’s been around for years, and gets handier, if spammier, all the time, sometimes I just have to stop and think “Wow, I’m glad I have this.”

I’ve been playing with my blog again, after abandoning it for ages, and I was thinking that I’d like to try blog-posting software again, this time I’m going to try MarsEdit. So, I’m thinking that posting software is cool, but there are some features in WordPress that aren’t part of the normal interface between the posting software and the blogging software. In particular, I’m talking about the post slug feature, which allows you to specify something other than the title of the post to use as part of its URL.

So, on a whim, I entered ‘marsedit wordpress slug’ in Google, and lo and behold, the very first result was for a WordPress plugin called Slugger+. It allows you to put the slug inside a custom tag, then when it’s posted, Slugger+ pulls it out and stores it in the right place inside WordPress. E-x-x-x-cellent.

A little while ago, someone fulfilled my wish for a Movable Type plugin to send my entries to Livejournal. Chip Marshall wrote the most useful plugin of this genre on his first pass, and it’s only gotten better. Lately, I’ve been rearranging my templates so that I can provide meta-data for entries about topics such as books, or format my quick link type entries different. I realized that the version of ljcrosspost I was using was not holding up well to the strain. I thought wistfully of how nice it would be to be able to control the output to lj, but put it out of my mind as I continued to break my templates left and right, as well as the myriad of other things in life that have kept me busy. Today, I decided to track down the entry for the plugin to write him a comment or e-mail and suggest the improvements. Lo and behold, Chip is miles ahead of me, as the latest version of ljcrosspost does all that and more. I happily downloaded the update and then proceeded to break my Livejournal left and right as I messed with the new features. I think I’ve gotten it back to normal now, but if you notice anything odd, let me know.

Well, finally the box this site is hosted on is back on the ‘net. Sorry for the absence this past week, but we had to move it and had problems getting the DSL installed at the new location. As the DNS slowly propogates, things should return to normal.

I’m just breaking this left and right tonight. I tried to tweak the layout of my blog with CSS and screwed the fonts all up. Don’t ask me how. Now the Textile plugin for Blosxom won’t format the bulleted list for my last entry. Sigh, I give up.

I really really just want someone to make my site look pretty. Maybe I’ll hire someone.

Sadly, I had to take down the graph of posting times in the sidebar (At least, if you are viewing this page on the new server). We are unable to get the GD Perl modules to work on our new webhost, a Debian box. So I’ve given up on that particular toy.

In that vein, there are some DNS changes in the works, so things may not be quite right until everything switches over to the new server.

I played around with mod_rewrite rules some more and changed my site structure so that my blog uses blog.cgi and my links use links.cgi and both are in the main folder. This lets me rewrite them to just /blog/ and /links/, eliminating the “archives” portion I had in each URL before. Hope it doesn’t mess things up too badly, but seems like the plugin for Blosxom that redirects moved posts will keep up with most of this. Yay for the Blosxom community.